Janice L. Sterling
Phone: (248) 864-4930
Fax: (248) 353-6440
Janice L. Sterling concentrates her practice on all aspects of employment law, education law and litigation. Ms. Sterling has extensive experience in counseling businesses on all aspects of employment law. Whether a business needs a separation agreement drafted, a handbook reviewed, or just has questions about every day employment issues or laws, Ms. Sterling provides valuable counseling assistance to her business clients.
Ms. Sterling also has broad administrative law experience representing businesses in front of such agencies as the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Michigan Department of Civil Rights, the Office of Civil Rights, Department of Labor, Internal Revenue Service and Unemployment Insurance Agency. Further, Ms. Sterling brings solid litigation experience to her business clients when they are faced with a lawsuit brought by private parties or governmental agencies.
Prior to becoming an attorney, Ms. Sterling worked in the human resources field, in both a union and a non-union environment. Her work experience in HR brings a real world business perspective to all of her business clients.
After law school, Ms. Sterling worked for eight years at the Bloomington, Indiana law firm of Mallor Clendening Grodner & Bohrer where she focused her law practice on employment matters. After moving to Michigan, Ms. Sterling opened a boutique employment law firm to continue to provide legal services to her Indiana clients.
Ms. Sterling graduated with Honors, Order of the Coif, from DePaul University College of Law in Chicago, Illinois. She received her BA, summa cum laude, in English and Mathematics from the College of St. Francis in Joliet, IL.
- Employment Practices Liability
- Education Law (Title IX)
- Labor & Employment Law
- College of St. Francis, B.A. 1995
- Honors: Summa Cum Laude
- DePaul University College of Law, J.D. 2001
- Honors: With Honors, Order of the Coif, Law Review
Admitted to Practice
- All Indiana state courts
- All Michigan state courts
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana
- State Bar of Indiana, Member, Employment Law Section
- State Bar of Michigan (pending)
- Defense Research Institute, Member, Employment Law Section
- Contributing Author of the Indiana State Bar Association’s “Employment and Labor Law Handbook for Indiana Lawyers.”
Ms. Sterling frequently presents seminars and serves as a guest speaker to human resource groups and business and professional organizations. Ms. Sterling also provides direct training to businesses. Past seminars include:
- Disciplining and Terminating Employees
- Best Hiring and Screening Practices for Indiana Employers
- Overview of Key Employment Laws
- What Every Employer Needs to Know About Handbooks
- Technology in the Workplace
- Is your Exempt Employee Really Exempt?
- Discrimination / Harassment Training
- What Every Employer Needs to Know About Employment Contracts
- Yearly Employment Law Update